Tom has extensive experience in mass torts, multi-district litigation and in defending class action lawsuits. He has been successful in defeating class action attempts against the manufacturers of pharmaceutical and medical device products. In addition to his product liability practice, he practices in the areas of general civil and commercial litigation.
- Supreme Court of the United States
- USDC, Western District of Missouri
- USDC, Eastern District of Missouri
- USDC, District of Kansas
- USDC, District of Nebraska
- USDC, District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- University of Missouri - Columbia School of Law, JD
- Eastern Illinois University, BS (Education), cum laude
Memberships & Activities
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- Member of Product Liability Section, Trial Tactics, Practices and Procedures Section, and has served on the Membership Development Committee and New Members Committee; Former Chairman of Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Litigation Section
- Defense Research Institute
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance, Member
- Product Liability Advisory Council
- Trial Attorneys of America
- The Missouri Bar
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- Board of Directors 1989-1995
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Former Vice Chairman of Medical and Hospital Relations Committee
- Former member of the Jackson County Medical Society Public Relations Committee
- Invited lecturer and speaker at numerous seminars and meetings
- Active service in the United States Army 1969-1971
- Author: Proposed Federal Rules of Court Procedure Ammendments Concerning Electronic Discovery: Will They Be Enough?, FDCC Quarterly, Volume 55, No. 2, Winter 2005.
- Contributing author: Product Liability Advisory Council (PLAC) Consumer Fraud 50 State Survey, 2004, Section on Kansas Law.
- Contributing author: ALFA International Product Liability Law Practice Group Compendium of Product Liability Law Issues, 2004, Section on Kansas Law.
- Contributing author: Tort & Insurance Law Journal, Volume 35, Number 2, Winter 2000, "Recent Developments in Products, General Liability, and Consumer Law".
- "Defendant's Right to Secure Medical Information and Records Concerning Plaintiff"1990 Missouri Product Liability Case Survey Published in 1991.
- Facilitated and participated in "Pricing, Process and Profit - A New Way of Doing Business" (Joint Law Firm Management Conference by FDCC and IADC, May 2013)
Awards & Recognition
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Elected to "An International Who's Who of Product Liability Defence Lawyers", 2002-present.
- Selected for inclusion in Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers®, 2005-present.
- Recognized by LMG Life Sciences as a "Life Sciences Star" in the area of product liability, 2012-present.
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers® in America for Commercial Litigation, Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants, and Product Liability Litigation - Defendants, 2012-present.
- Recognized by Who's Who Legal: Life Sciences Edition, 2016.
- Recognized by Benchmark Litigation as a "Litigation Star (Missouri)", 2016.
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® in America as the Kansas City-MO Product Liability Litigation-Defendants “Lawyer of the Year”, 2014.