Martha Charepoo is a trial lawyer providing clients with strategic results-oriented representation locally and nationally, supported by knowledge of cutting-edge courtroom technology. Martha focuses her practice on complex commercial litigation in areas such as breach of contract, fraud and unfair trade practices, insurance coverage, subrogation, insurance bad faith litigation, product liability defense, consumer class actions, real estate disputes, and general liability.
Martha handles cases in state and federal courts nationwide from inception through settlement, trial, or other resolution. She works closely with clients to ensure that cases are handled efficiently and cost-effectively and, when appropriate, develops business strategies to reduce the risk of future litigation.
Prior to joining the firm, Martha spent several years with an Am Law 100 firm handling national-scale litigation of complex business issues and product liability claims in the manufacturing, transportation, and health care industries.
Martha is the author of two volumes of the Missouri Practice, Civil Rules Practice, providing commentary on Rules 41-76 of the Missouri Rules of Civil Procedure.
Martha is Chair of the firm’s Diversity & Inclusion Committee and a 2019 Fellow of the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity. She is a recipient of the Missouri Lawyers Media 2019 Diversity and Inclusion Award and 2020 LItigation Practitioner Women's Justice Award.
- USDC, Eastern District of Missouri
- USDC, Western District of Missouri
- USDC, Central District of Illinois
- USDC, Northern District of Illinois
- USDC, Southern District of Illinois
- USDC, District of Colorado
- USDC, Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- University of Iowa, J.D., 1997
- University of Pittsburgh, B.A., 1991
Memberships & Activities
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- Illinois Bar Association
- Missouri Asian American Bar Association
- Mentor Program (Mentor), 2018-2019
- Missouri Bar Association
- Committee on Diversity
- Financial Services Committee
- Insurance Law Committee
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- Mortgage Bankers Association
- St. Louis Agri-Business Club
- Author, Missouri Practice Series, Civil Rules Practice, 2d and 4th (Vol. 16, Rules 56 to 76, Cumulative Supplement), 2017-2018.
- Author, Missouri Practice Series, Civil Rules Practice, 2d and 4th (Vol. 16, Rules 56 to 76, Cumulative Supplement), 2016-2017.
- Author, Missouri Practice Series, Civil Rules Practice, 2d and 4th (Vol. 16, Rules 56 to 76, Main Volume), 2016-2017.
- Author, Missouri Practice Series, Civil Rules Practice, 2d and 4th (Vol. 16, Rules 56 to 76, Cumulative Supplement), 2015-2016.
- Co-Author, “Compendium of Reported Post-Aerospatiale Cases Citing the Hague Convention (June 1987-July 2003),” American Bar Association, Section of International Law and Practice, International Litigation Committee (2004).
Awards & Recognition
- Missouri Lawyers Media Women's Justice Award (Litigation Practitioner), 2020
- Missouri Lawyers Media Diversity and Inclusion Award, 2019
- Legal Aid of Missouri, Volunteer Lawyers Program
- St. Louis Volunteer Lawyers & Accountants for the Arts
- Eastern District of Missouri Pro Bono Volunteer Lawyer Panel
News & Events
Missouri Court of Appeals Cites Excerpts From Publication Authored by Baker Sterchi Member Martha Charepoo To Support Opinion07.08.21 | In a recently published opinion, the Missouri Court of Appeals cited Baker Sterchi attorney, Martha Charepoo, as authority for its decision to affirm a circuit court's denial of a motion to set aside default judgment.
Baker Sterchi Member Martha Charepoo Receives Missouri Lawyers Media 2019 Diversity & Inclusion Recognition07.31.19 | Baker SterchiMember Martha Charepoo has received Missouri Lawyers Media 2019 Diversity & Inclusion recognition. Charepoo is the Chair of Baker Sterchi's Diversity & Inclusion Committee, where she has been leading the firm's efforts to better align with American Bar Association Resolution 113 to promote diversity in the legal profession, as well as working to attract and retain diverse talent, and provide diversity related programming and activities for the firm's attorneys and staff.
Baker Sterchi Attorney Martha Charepoo Accepted into 2019 Leadership Counsel on Legal Diversity (LCLD) Program02.08.19 | Baker Sterchi attorney Martha Charepoo has been accepted into the 2019 Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) Fellows Program. The Fellows Program is designed to connect mid-career high-potential attorneys from preeminent corporations and law firms for a year-long professional development series focusing on...
Kingsland Investments, L.P. v. Schaefer Group, Inc.349 S.W.3d 380 (E.D. Mo. 2011)
Emerson Elec. Co. v. RogersLexis 9053 (E.D. Mo. 2006)
Utica Mut. Ins. Co. v. BancInsure, Inc.,Lexis 71164 (E.D.Mo. 2007)