Martha Charepoo focuses her practice on business litigation including breach of contract, fraud, unfair trade practices, enforcing non-compete agreements, creditor’s rights, collections, business torts, shareholder disputes, insurance coverage disputes, foreclosures, and real estate title disputes. Martha handles cases in state and federal courts nationwide from inception through settlement, trial, or other resolution. She works closely with clients to ensure that cases are handled efficiently and cost-effectively and, when appropriate, develops business strategies to reduce the risk of future litigation.
Whether a large corporation, mid-sized company, small business owner or individual, she gives each client focused personal attention to ensure they receive the advocacy needed to solve their legal problems. Because of her extensive experience litigating a wide range of contracts and business disputes, Martha also helps clients with contract negotiation and drafting. Coupled with her breadth of industry experience, Martha also offers cost-effective single source legal services and consultation to small companies and entrepreneurs who don’t have in-house legal departments. Prior to joining the firm, Martha spent several years with an Am Law 200 firm helping handle national-scale litigation of product liability claims and complex business cases in the manufacturing and health care industries.
Martha’s writing activities include blogging on developments in Missouri law, and she is the author of Missouri Practice, Civil Rules Practice, Rule 56-76, Third Edition. Her community activities include providing pro bono legal services to the arts community and individuals and families facing housing issues. She speaks French and Farsi, and also knows some Arabic.
- USDC, Eastern District of Missouri
- USDC, Central District of Illinois
- USDC, District of Colorado
- USDC, Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- University of Iowa, J.D., 1997
- University of Pittsburgh, B.A., cum laude, 1991
Memberships & Activities
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- Illinois Bar Association
- Missouri Bar Association
- Committee on Diversity
- Financial Services Committee
- Insurance Law Committee
- Mortgage Bankers Association
- St. Louis Agri-Business Club
- Author, Missouri Practice Series, Civil Rules Practice, 2d and 4th (Vol. 16, Rules 56 to 76, Cumulative Supplement), 2016-2017.
- Author, Missouri Practice Series, Civil Rules Practice, 2d and 4th (Vol. 16, Rules 56 to 76, Main Volume), 2016-2017.
- Author, Missouri Practice Series, Civil Rules Practice, 2d and 4th (Vol. 16, Rules 56 to 76, Cumulative Supplement), 2015-2016.
- Co-Author, “Compendium of Reported Post-Aerospatiale Cases Citing the Hague Convention (June 1987-July 2003),” American Bar Association, Section of International Law and Practice, International Litigation Committee (2004).
- Legal Aid of Missouri, Volunteer Lawyers Program
- St. Louis Volunteer Lawyers & Accountants for the Arts
- Eastern District of Missouri Pro Bono Volunteer Lawyer Panel
News & Events
Kingsland Investments, L.P. v. Schaefer Group, Inc.349 S.W.3d 380 (E.D. Mo. 2011)
Emerson Elec. Co. v. RogersLexis 9053 (E.D. Mo. 2006)