Kara has been an active member of various legal organizations over her career. She is currently serving as Chair of the Board of Directors for ALFA International, a legal network comprised of 80 domestic and 70 international law firms. She is also actively involved in the International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC), the Defense Research Institute (DRI), and the American Bar Association (ABA). Kara frequenty authors papers and speaks at conferences around the country.
Prior to joining the firm, Kara served as law clerk to the Honorable Thomas C. Clark of the Circuit Court of Jackson County, Missouri. On Wednesday afternoons during the school year, you can find Kara reading to second grade students at Garfield Elementary School as part of her commitment to Turn the Page Kansas City.
- Food & Beverage
- Hospitality & Leisure
- Pharmaceutical & Medical Device
- Recreational Transportation
- USDC, Western District of Missouri
- USDC, Eastern District of Missouri
- USDC, District of Kansas
- USDC, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- University of Kansas School of Law, JD, 1992
- University of Kansas, BA (Political Science), 1989
Memberships & Activities
- ALFA International
- Chair of Board of Directors (2018-present)
- Vice Chair of Board of Directors (2016-2018)
- Past Chair of Product Liability & Complex Torts Practice Group (2014-2016)
- Board of Directors (2010-2013)
- Secretary to Board of Directors (2012-2013)
- Vice-Chair, Products Liability Practice Group (2013-2014)
- Member of North American Membership Committee
- Past Chair of Medical Device and Drug Practice Group
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Regional Chair of Membership for Kansas
- Vice-Chair of Mid-Year Meeting for Drug, Device and Biotechnology Committee (2016)
- Vice-Chair of Publications for Drug, Device and Biotechnology Committee (2013-2015)
- Vice-Chair of Membership for Drug, Device and Biotechnology Committee (2011-2013)
- Vice-Chair of Publications for Class Action and Multi-Party Litigation Committee (2011-2017)
- Civil Justice Response Committee
- American Bar Association
- Co-Chair of Pharmaceuticals Sub-Committee, Litigation Section (2010-2012)
- Co-Chair of Medical Device Sub-Committee, Litigation Section (2013)
- Defense Research Institute
- Drug and Medical Device Committee - State Liaison (Missouri)
- Products Liability Committee
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- Missouri Bar Association
- Chair Young Lawyers Section Council (2000-2001)
- Young Lawyers Section Council Executive Committee Member (1999-2002)
- Kansas Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- Ross T. Roberts Inn of Court
- IADC Trial Academy
- Phi Alpha Delta Alumni Chapter, Treasurer, (1996-1998)
- Contributing author: ALFA Product Liability & Complex Torts Compendium, Kansas and Missouri Chapters (2017).
- “CPSC’s Proposed Interpretive Rule Would Make Significant Changes to Voluntary Recalls” (Product Liability, IADC Committee Newsletter, February 2014).
- Co-author to "A New Argument Against Preemption under Mensing: The Different Manufacturers Exception" (Drug Device & Biotechnology, IADC Committee Newsletter, May 2013).
- Editor of "Federal Jurisdiction Based on Removal: A 50-State Survey" (ABA, Section of Litigation, Pharmaceuticals Subcommittee, 2008).
- "Second Circuit Affirms Preliminary Injunction Prohibiting FDA from Implementing Regulation that Requires Certain Documentation of the Chain of Custody of Prescription Drugs," International Association of Defense Counsel Drug, Device and Biotechnology Committee Newsletter, (October 2008).
- "Liability Exposure For Original Equipment Manufacturers In The World Of Reprocessed Single Use Devices - Much Ado About Nothing Or Is The Other Shoe About To Drop?" Drug, Device and Biotechnology, IADC Committee Newsletter, (September 2007).
- "The Learned Intermediary Doctrine Stands Strong In the Face of Increasing Direct-to-Consumer Advertising," RX for the Defense, The Newsletter of the DRI Drug and Medical Device Committee, (Summer 2005).
- Contributing author to "50 State Survey: The Restatement Sections Specifically Applicable to Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Cases in State Court" (Section of Litigation, American Bar Association 2003).
- Contributing author to "The Use of Epidemiology in Tort Litigation, A Survey of Federal and State Jurisdictions" (Section of Litigation, American Bar Association 2003).
- Speaker, ALFA International Client Seminar (March 2 – 5, 2017), “The Advancing Role of Science in the Courtroom: the Future Is Now” – Miami, FL.
- Speaker, MEDMARC's End-of-Year Webinar (December 14, 2016), "Litigation and Claims Trends for the Life Sciences Industry: The 2016 Year in Review and Forecast for 2017."
- Moderator, ALFA International Product Liability & Complex Torts, Practice Group Seminar (July 16-18, 2014), “Consumer Product Safety Commission Panel Discussion” – Colorado Springs, CO.
- Moderator, MEDMARC Annual Seminar (June 2012), “Navigating the Social Media Maze” – Bolton Landing, NY.
- Program Chair, ALFA International Product Liability Practice Group Program Chair, ALFA International Product Liability Practice Group Seminar (September 21-23, 2011) – Nashville, TN
- Program Chair, ABA, Section of Litigation, Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Conference (November 11, 2010), "Current Issues in Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Litigation."- Johnson & Johnson, New Brunswick, NJ.
- Program, Chair, ABA, Section of Litigation, Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Conference (November 12, 2009), "Current Issues in Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Litigation."- Schering Plough, Kenilworth, NJ.
- Moderator, ALFA International Women's Initiative Program/Chicago ACC Chapter (October 22, 2009), "Women in the Legal Profession: Recognizing and Developing Your Leadership Style." - Chicago, IL.
- Speaker, ALFA International Midwest Regional, Healthcare and Medical Device Joint Seminar (June 4-5, 2009), "The Judicial, Legislative and Regulatory Status of Preemption in the Medical Device and Pharmaceutical Industry." - Minneapolis, MN.
- ALFA International Product Liability Practice Group (November 12-14, 2008), "Medical Device and Drug Product Liability Litigation: Current Developments in Multi-District Litigation." - Dana Point, CA.
- ACC America Mid-America Chapter, CLE Series (October 8, 2008), "Operator's Manual for a Witness Chair." - Kansas City, MO.
- NEMA (National Electrical Equipment Manufacturers Association), Product Safety and Liability Conference (October 1, 2008), "The Medical Monitoring Remedy and Other Cases with Unripened Injury." - Memphis, TN.
- ACC America Mid-America Chapter, CLE Series (October 10, 2007), "The Attorney/Client Privilege, Recent Developments and New Traps for the Unwary." - Kansas City, MO.
- ABA, Section of Litigation, PHARMA Meeting, Current Issues in Pharmaceutical Litigation and Policy (November 18, 2005), "Direct to Consumer Advertising and the Learned Intermediary Doctrine, What You Need to Know Now." - New York, NY.
- ABA Women in Product Liability, Regional Meeting (November 9, 2004), "Advice from In-House Counsel on Successfully Navigating the Pitfalls of Marketing a Litigation Practice." - New York, NY.
- ABA Women in Products Liability, Regional Meeting (November 6, 2003), "How to Forge Strong Relationships Between Inside and Outside Counsel." - Atlanta, GA.
Awards & Recognition
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers® in America, Kansas City Metropolitan Area
- Product Liability Litigation - Defendants (2017-present)
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Who's Who Legal: Life Sciences, 2016.
- Medmarc Outstanding Advocacy Award, 2015.
- Selected for inclusion in Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers®, 2010-2012, 2018.
- Medmarc Insurance Group Attorney Honor Roll, 2004.
- Missouri Bar Association Recognition for Valuable Leadership, 2001.
- Missouri Bar Association Recognition for Outstanding Service to the Bar, 1999-2000.
- "Lead To Read" Volunteer, Garfield Elementary, Kansas City, Missouri
- Faithwork Volunteer, Church of the Resurrection