As a Member of the firm, Tom Seigfreid is an experienced trial lawyer whose practice focuses exclusively on the defense of product manufacturers. Tom has defended automotive, agricultural, heavy truck, power tool and marine product manufacturers for more than 30 years. He has tried significant product liability cases for a variety of Fortune 100 companies. Chambers USA has recognized Tom for his work in products litigation and “savvy in the courtroom.” Tom serves as National Coordinating Counsel supervising repetitive and multi-district product liability and toxic tort matters throughout the country. He is active in defense organizations, including the International Association of Defense Counsel, and in the presentation of continuing legal education. Tom regularly delivers litigation-related lectures to both in-house counsel and national CLE conferees.
- USDC, Western District of Missouri
- USDC, District of Kansas
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- Drake University, J.D., 1984
- University of California at Berkeley, Business, 1979-1980
- Regis College, B.A. (Philosophy), 1979
- Loyola University, Rome, Italy, 1977-1978
Memberships & Activities
- Defense Research Institute
- Federal Bar Association
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Faculty Member: 2018 International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC) Trial Academy, Stanford Law School, Palo Alto, California
- Member: Product Liability and Toxic Tort Committees
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Missouri Bar
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- Co-Author of "Jury Panel Investigation in Missouri." IADC Trial Techniques and Tactics Committee Newsletter, July 2014.
- Co-author of "Missouri Led Way on Jury Investigation Rules." Missouri Lawyers Weekly, September 2, 2013.
- IADC Trial Academy, Palo Alto, California, 2018.
- "Operator's Manual for a Witness Chair," Association of Corporate Counsel - MidAmerica Chapter, 2008.
- "Intricacies of the Attorney-Client Privilege to In-House Counsel Communications," Association of Corporate Counsel - MidAmerica Chapter, 2007.
- "Successful Dispute Resolution Strategies - Mediation vs. Arbitration," Association of Corporate Counsel- MidAmerica Chapter, 2006.
- "Battling Baffling Bankruptcy: Defending Reorganizing Entities in Product Litigation," International Association of Defense Counsel Annual Conference, Maui, Hawaii, July 2003.
- Pre-Trial Motion Practice and the Changing Rules of Civil Procedure, Wal- Mart Corporate Legal Conference, 2001.
- "Spoliation of Evidence," General Motors Corporation, ESIS Corporation, Detroit Michigan, 1996 and 1997.
- "Preparation of the Client for Deposition," Federation of Insurance and Corporate Counsel, Litigation Management College, 1996.
- "Deposition Preparation of the Defense Witness," Federation of Insurance and Corporate Counsel, Litigation Management College, 1995.
- "'Mary Carter' Alive and Well in Missouri," ABA Annual Meeting, San Francisco, California, 1994.
- "Rule 26 and the New Disclosure Requirements," Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, 1993.
Awards & Recognition
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers® in America, Kansas City Metropolitan Area (Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions - Defendants), 2014-present
- Selected for inclusion in Chambers USA, 2008-2018
- Selected for inclusion in Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers®, 2008-2011