Shawn Rogers is AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell. He has been a Member of the Firm since 2005. Experienced in all phases of litigation, his practice is dedicated to the defense of trucking, premises liability, hospitality, product liability, and employment cases.
Shawn has taken and defended hundreds of depositions, including expert engineers, reconstructionists, economists, physicians and geologists.
He has first chair jury trial experience and has appeared in jury and bench trials in both state and federal courts. Most notably, Shawn successfully defended a case at jury trial involving a tractor trailer collision (including obtaining an affirmative recovery on a claim for down time and property damage to a tractor’s grill against the driver of a rear ended passenger vehicle).
He has also appeared in jury trials involving alleged contamination of diesel fuel, product liability claims, and various other aspects of tort liability defense, and has defended physicians before the Board of Healing Arts.
Shawn has served as a guest lecturer at a local college on business law, taught continuing legal education courses, presented on cross-examination strategies, and moderated a panel on liquor liability issues.
- USDC, Western District of Missouri
- USDC, Eastern District of Missouri
- USDC, District of Kansas
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- University of Kansas School of Law, J.D., 1998
- Recipient of the Payne & Jones Award in Appellate Advocacy
- Recipient of the CALI Award in Property
- Binghamton University School of Management, B.S., 1994
- Member of Sigma Beta National Honors Society
- Taught Appellate Advocacy Small Sections at University of Kansas, 1997-98
Memberships & Activities
- ALFA International
- Member, Trucking Practice Group
- Steering Committee, Hospitality Practice Group
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- Defense Research Institute
- Kansas Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Missouri Bar Association
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- Trucking Industry Defense Association
- Co-Author, ALFA International Compendium, Hospitality Law, Missouri Section (with Jonathan Benevides) (2016).
- Author, "Limit your liability when serving alcohol" (HotelNewsNow, September 2013).
- Author, A State-By-State Look at Liquor Liability Laws (2012).
- Author, "Federal Civil Litigation in Missouri" (2005).
- Co-Author, ALFA International Compendium, Hospitality Law, Kansas Section (2017, 2019).).
- You’ve Got Mail! To Reply or Not to Reply – Social Media User Critiques and How to Deal With Them, ALFA International Hospitality & Retail Seminar (2016).
- MoBar CLE Presenter: Section on Dealing with the Problem Witness, the Hostile Adversary, and Overcoming Obstructions of the program “Taking and Defending Effective Depositions” - Independence, Missouri (August 21, 2015).
- The X's and O's of Cross Examination: Strategies & Techniques For Cross Examining Your Opponent's Expert (2014).
- Deposing a Plaintiff in a Trucking Case, Lorman Education Services (2012).
- Liquor Liability: Thank You Sir... Can I Have Another (2012).
- Federal Civil Litigation in Missouri, Lorman Education Services (2005).
Awards & Recognition
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Selected for inclusion in Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers®, 2013-present.
- Selected for inclusion in Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers®-Rising Stars, 2010-2012.
- Big Brothers/Sisters