Scott Kreamer has tried more than 30 cases in both State and Federal Courts. He has also appeared before and prevailed in many appellate decisions in various federal and state jurisdictions. Scott practices in the areas of commercial, construction, financial services, insurance, products liability and tort litigation. He has also served as national counsel for clients in the areas of toxic tort litigation and financial services.
Scott is the firm's Managing Member. He has also been an active member of various bar organizations over his career. He recently completed his terms as Chairman of the Board and President of the Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel (FDCC), an invitation-only organization consisting of accomplished defense attorneys, corporate counsel, and insurance industry executives who have achieved professional distinction during their careers. He is currently serving on the Board of Directors of Lawyers for Civil Justice (LCJ), a coalition of defense bar organizations, law firms and corporations committed to reform in the civil justice system.
Scott frequently authors papers and lectures at conferences across the country. He is admitted to practice in Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska.
- Food & Beverage
- Hospitality & Leisure
- Pharmaceutical & Medical Device
- Supreme Court of the United States
- USDC, Western District of Missouri
- USDC, Eastern District of Missouri
- USDC, District of Kansas
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- University of Kansas School of Law, J.D., 1989
- University of Iowa, B.B.A., 1986
Memberships & Activities
- American Bar Association
- Fidelity and Surety Sub-Committee
- Section of the Torts and Insurance Practice Section
- Tort and Insurance Practice Committee
- Litigation Section
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
- Defense Research Institute
- Board of Directors
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- Past Chairman of the Board
- Past President
- Past President-Elect
- Past Secretary-Treasurer
- Past Senior Director
- Past Executive Committee Member
- Past Website Director
- Past Dean of Litigation Management College
- Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce
- Kansas Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Lawyers for Civil Justice
- Board of Directors
- Missouri Bar Association
- Kansas City Representative to YLS Council (1993-1999)
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- Mortgage Bankers Association
- National Bond Claims Association
- National Foundation for Judicial Excellence
- Co-author: "The Principal's Subcontractors: Payment Bond Issues and Ratification Agreements," American Bar Association, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, Fidelity and Surety Law Committee (May 2016).
- Speaker: "The Principal's Subcontractors: Payment Bond Issues and Ratification Agreements," American Bar Association, TIPS Section Spring CLE Conference (May 2016) - Atlanta, GA.
Awards & Recognition
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated
- Missouri Lawyers Media Business Defense Attorneys POWER LIST, 2021
- The Business Journal Law Influencers List, 2019
- Missouri Lawyers Media Law Firm Leader Award, 2019
- Best Lawyers® in America, Kansas City Metropolitan Area
- Construction Litigation, 2013 to present.
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers®, 2006-2009, 2013-present
- FDCC Joseph R. Olshan Award, 2011
- Missouri Lawyers Media Top Jury Verdicts, 2010
News & Events
Baker Sterchi Managing Member Scott Kreamer Named to Missouri Lawyers Media's THE POWER LIST for Business Defense06.01.21 | Missouri Lawyers Media has named Baker Sterchi Managing Member Scott Kreamer to its 2021 edition of THE POWER LIST for Business Defense.
Baker Sterchi Managing Member Scott Kreamer to Serve on Lawyers for Civil Justice Board of Directors09.25.20 | Baker Sterchi Managing Member James Scott Kreamer will serve on the Lawyers for Civil Justice (LCJ) Board of Directors, a coalition of defense bar organizations, law firms and corporations committed to reform in the civil justice system.
Baker Sterchi Managing Member Scott Kreamer Selected to Receive Missouri Lawyers Media Law Firm Leader Award12.13.19 | Baker Sterchi Managing Member Scott Kreamer has been selected to receive a Missouri Lawyers Media Law Firm Leader Award, an award given to chairpersons, managing partners or other law firm executives who demonstrated extraordinary vision, innovation and leadership during the year.
Baker Sterchi Cowden & Rice Managing Member James Scott Kreamer Elected President of Prestigious Defense Organization08.02.17 | James Scott Kreamer, Managing Member of Baker Sterchi Cowden & Rice, was elected President of the Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel (FDCC) at the 2017 Annual Meeting at...
Seven Baker Sterchi Cowden & Rice Attorneys Selected to the 2014 Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers List10.09.14 | Baker Sterchi Cowden & Rice LLC is pleased to announce that seven lawyers have been named to the 2014 Edition of Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers. . .
RECENT TRIALS OF NOTE
Hall et al. v. NW Fertilizer, Inc.Holt County, MO (2013)
Obtained jury verdict in favor of our client, Northwest Fertilizer, Inc. after a week trial. The case involved a misapplication of a herbicide on corn crops that damaged a portion of plaintiffs’ corn.
Unified School District No. 228 v. Old Republic Surety Company, et al.Hodgeman County, KS (2013)
Successfully defended Old Republic Surety, Inc. in a 5 day jury trial involving a breach of contract regarding the construction of running track at a local high school. At the close of plaintiff's evidence the District Court granted Old Republic's motion for directed verdict and entered judgment in favor of Old Republic.
Fischer Quarries v. Western Surety Company, et al.Carroll County, MO (2012)
Following a bench trial in Ray County, Missouri, BSCR received a judgment in favor of our client, Western Surety. The claim involved a contractual dispute arising out of an indemnity agreement. The Court awarded our client the full amount requested, which included all attorney’s fees and costs.
Schupp v. Western Surety, et al.Pettis County, MO (2011)
Successfully defended claim against surety bond.
The Weitz Company v. MacKenzie House, LLC, et alU.S.D.C. MO (2010)
Unanimous defense verdict and award of $5 million on a counterclaim in a three week jury trial involving a commercial dispute.
America's Mortgage Banc, Inc. v. XEZ, Inc., et al.Circuit Court of Cook County, IL (2009)
Successfully represented mortgage company in jury trial seeking recovery of money lost arising out of fraudulent loans.
The Weitz Company v. MH Washington, LLC, et al.U.S.D.C. MO (2008)
Successfully defended three week jury trial involving a commercial dispute over condominium development.
Walton Construction Company v. First National Insurance Company of America, et al.Kansas City, MO (2005)
Obtained a defense verdict from a panel of three arbitrators in a four week arbitration involving construction project and claim of $15 million.
103 Investors v. Square D Company, et al.U.S.D.C. KS (2005)
Obtained directed verdict in a one week jury trial involving a design defect claim of electrical equipment.
NewCap Insurance Co. v. Employers Reinsurance Corp.U.S.D.C. KS (2004)
Successfully represented NewCap in a jury trial for recovery of $15 million in reinsurance proceeds.
Saxon Mortgage, Inc, v. Mortgage Plus, Inc.U.S.D.C. KS (2001)
Obtained defense verdict in trial involving mortgage loans.
City of Leon, KS v. Faciligroup, et al.District Court of Lyon County, KS (1998)
Obtained defense verdict in trial involving construction of waste water treatment facility.
Mack Excavating, Inc. v. City of TopekaU.S. Bankruptcy Ct., KS (1997)
Represented contractor in trial regarding construction project.
RECENT APPELLATE COURT ARGUMENTS
The Weitz Company v. MacKenzie House, LLC, et al.Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals (2011)
Affirming jury verdict in commercial case.
The Weitz Company v. MH Washington, LLC, et al.Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals (2009)
Application of piercing the corporate veil doctrine.
103 Investors v. Square D Company, et al.Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals (2004)
Application of Daubert to striking expert witness.
Reeves v. Sunflower Dodge, Inc.KS Court of Appeals (1998)
Application of Kansas Consumer Protection Act.
Freight Rate Service Company v. Phil Williams et al.KS Court of Appeals (1998)
Damages recoverable under breach of contract.
Prestress Engineering v. Mechanical & Industrial Fasteners, Inc.Illinois Court of Appeals
Application of economic loss doctrine.