Scott Kreamer has tried more than 30 cases in both State and Federal Courts. In 2010, he was recognized by Missouri Lawyers Weekly as having received one the top jury verdicts in Missouri in a commercial case. Scott has also appeared before and prevailed in many appellate decisions in various federal and state jurisdictions. Scott practices in the areas of commercial, construction, financial services, insurance, products liability and tort litigation. Scott has also served as national counsel for clients in the areas of toxic tort litigation and financial services.
Scott is the firm's Managing Member. He has also been an active member of various bar organizations over his career. He is currently serving as President of the Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel (FDCC), an invitation-only organization consisting of accomplished defense attorneys, corporate counsel, and insurance industry executives who have achieved professional distinction during their careers, and is the Dean in the FDCC's Litigation Management College. Scott frequently authors papers and lectures at conferences across the country. He is admitted to practice in Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska.
- Food & Beverage
- Hospitality & Leisure
- Pharmaceutical & Medical Device
- Supreme Court of the United States
- USDC, Western District of Missouri
- USDC, Eastern District of Missouri
- USDC, District of Kansas
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- University of Kansas School of Law, JD, 1989
- University of Iowa, BBA, 1986
Memberships & Activities
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- Senior Director
- Executive Committee
- Website Director
- Dean of Litigation Management College
- American Bar Association
- Fidelity and Surety Sub-Committee
- Section of the Torts and Insurance Practice Section
- Tort and Insurance Practice Committee
- Litigation Section
- Lawyers for Civil Justice
- Board of Directors
- Defense Research Institute
- Board of Directors
- National Foundation for Judicial Excellence
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys
- Missouri Bar Association, Kansas City Representative to YLS Council, (1993-99)
- Kansas Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- National Bond Claims Association
- Mortgage Bankers Association
- Co-author: "The Principal's Subcontractors: Payment Bond Issues and Ratification Agreements," American Bar Association, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, Fidelity and Surety Law Committee (May 2016).
- Speaker: "The Principal's Subcontractors: Payment Bond Issues and Ratification Agreements," American Bar Association, TIPS Section Spring CLE Conference (May 2016) - Atlanta, GA.
Awards & Recognition
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers® in America, Kansas City Metropolitan Area
- Construction Litigation (2013-present)
- Joseph R. Olshan Award (2011) awarded by FDCC for outstanding service to organization.
- Selected for inclusion in Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers®, 2006-2009, 2013-present.
News & Events
Baker Sterchi Cowden & Rice Managing Member James Scott Kreamer Elected President of Prestigious Defense Organization08.02.17 | James Scott Kreamer, Managing Member of Baker Sterchi Cowden & Rice, was elected President of the Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel (FDCC) at the 2017 Annual Meeting at...
RECENT TRIALS OF NOTE
Hall et al. v. NW Fertilizer, Inc.Holt County, MO (2013)
Obtained jury verdict in favor of our client, Northwest Fertilizer, Inc. after a week trial. The case involved a misapplication of a herbicide on corn crops that damaged a portion of plaintiffs’ corn.
Unified School District No. 228 v. Old Republic Surety Company, et al.Hodgeman County, KS (2013)
Successfully defended Old Republic Surety, Inc. in a 5 day jury trial involving a breach of contract regarding the construction of running track at a local high school. At the close of plaintiff's evidence the District Court granted Old Republic's motion for directed verdict and entered judgment in favor of Old Republic.
Fischer Quarries v. Western Surety Company, et al.Carroll County, MO (2012)
Following a bench trial in Ray County, Missouri, BSCR received a judgment in favor of our client, Western Surety. The claim involved a contractual dispute arising out of an indemnity agreement. The Court awarded our client the full amount requested, which included all attorney’s fees and costs.
Schupp v. Western Surety, et al.Pettis County, MO (2011)
Successfully defended claim against surety bond.
The Weitz Company v. MacKenzie House, LLC, et alU.S.D.C. MO (2010)
Unanimous defense verdict and award of $5 million on a counterclaim in a three week jury trial involving a commercial dispute.
America's Mortgage Banc, Inc. v. XEZ, Inc., et al.Circuit Court of Cook County, IL (2009)
Successfully represented mortgage company in jury trial seeking recovery of money lost arising out of fraudulent loans.
The Weitz Company v. MH Washington, LLC, et al.U.S.D.C. MO (2008)
Successfully defended three week jury trial involving a commercial dispute over condominium development.
Walton Construction Company v. First National Insurance Company of America, et al.Kansas City, MO (2005)
Obtained a defense verdict from a panel of three arbitrators in a four week arbitration involving construction project and claim of $15 million.
103 Investors v. Square D Company, et al.U.S.D.C. KS (2005)
Obtained directed verdict in a one week jury trial involving a design defect claim of electrical equipment.
NewCap Insurance Co. v. Employers Reinsurance Corp.U.S.D.C. KS (2004)
Successfully represented NewCap in a jury trial for recovery of $15 million in reinsurance proceeds.
Saxon Mortgage, Inc, v. Mortgage Plus, Inc.U.S.D.C. KS (2001)
Obtained defense verdict in trial involving mortgage loans.
City of Leon, KS v. Faciligroup, et al.District Court of Lyon County, KS (1998)
Obtained defense verdict in trial involving construction of waste water treatment facility.
Mack Excavating, Inc. v. City of TopekaU.S. Bankruptcy Ct., KS (1997)
Represented contractor in trial regarding construction project.
RECENT APPELLATE COURT ARGUMENTS
The Weitz Company v. MacKenzie House, LLC, et al.Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals (2011)
Affirming jury verdict in commercial case.
The Weitz Company v. MH Washington, LLC, et al.Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals (2009)
Application of piercing the corporate veil doctrine.
103 Investors v. Square D Company, et al.Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals (2004)
Application of Daubert to striking expert witness.
Reeves v. Sunflower Dodge, Inc.KS Court of Appeals (1998)
Application of Kansas Consumer Protection Act.
Freight Rate Service Company v. Phil Williams et al.KS Court of Appeals (1998)
Damages recoverable under breach of contract.
Prestress Engineering v. Mechanical & Industrial Fasteners, Inc.Illinois Court of Appeals
Application of economic loss doctrine.