Mike McMullen has over 30 years of experience defending products cases on a nationwide basis. Mike represents manufacturing, propane, marine, insurance and transportation industry clients in catastrophic accident cases across the United States. He has investigated accidents and defended cases in 37 states, including numerous defense verdicts and summary judgment rulings. Mike’s extensive experience and tenacious approach have often negated lawsuits before they could be filed against his clients.
In court, Mike has obtained defense verdicts in fire and explosion fatality trials, and summary judgment rulings in carbon monoxide brain damage and other serious personal injury cases. Mike also conducts company safety audits to help his clients limit potential exposure and maximize safety for their customers, and gives frequent presentations to industry groups on consumer safety and industry practice issues.
Outside the courtroom, Mike is actively involved in the arts. His Black & White photography decorates the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association office, and is offered for sale through the KCMBA with a percentage of proceeds benefitting local bar community programs. His courthouse series of photographs are on permanent display at the Jackson County courthouse in downtown Kansas City.
- Defense verdict in wrongful death house fire case, Cincinnati Federal Court.
- Defense verdict in wrongful death commercial business explosion case, Baton Rouge, LA.
- Defense verdict in commercial business propane release case, claiming multi-million dollar business loss.
- Defense verdict in wrongful death of disabled child, Cleburne, AL.
- Summary Judgment ruling in nightclub kitchen fire burn case, Atlanta, GA.
- Summary Judgment ruling in CO brain damage personal injury case, Charleston, WV.
- USDC, Western District of Missouri
- USDC, District of Kansas
- Supreme Court of the United States
- University of Missouri – Columbia School of Law, J.D., 1985
- R. Jack Garrett Prize for ATLA Trial Competition
- Stanford University, B.A., History, 1981
Memberships & Activities
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Missouri Bar
- Defense Research Institute
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- Propane Gas Defense Association
- National Fire Protection Association
- Mike is a frequent presenter to industry groups on consumer safety and industry practice issues.
Awards & Recognition
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell for over 15 years.
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers® in America, Kansas City Metropolitan Area
- Product Liability Litigation - Defendants (2019)
- Volunteer Attorney Project, Pro-Bono Award Recipient.
- Neighbor to Neighbor (N2N) Homeless Outreach (Board of Directors)
- Kansas City Tomorrow Civic Leadership (Alumni)
- ARTS KC Now Showing Program (Participating Artist)
- Eagle Scout & Former BSA Troop 10 Assistant Scoutmaster