Terry O'Toole is an experienced trial lawyer with proven results. He has tried over 30 cases to verdict in state and federal courts and in 2017 was awarded the Lon O. Hocker award by the Missouri Bar Foundation for excellence in trial advocacy. A former police detective and criminal prosecutor, Terry utilizes his unique skill set to serve his clients in all aspects of risk management, investigation, case preparation, and trial.
Terry concentrates in the areas of medical malpractice and general liability defense, including personal injury, security, insurance, and transportation law. He works regularly with clients ranging from healthcare providers, claims managers, and in-house counsel to provide counsel and advocacy tailored to each client’s unique needs.
- Jury verdict for healthcare clients in alleged wrongful death medical malpractice action (2017)
- Jury verdict for healthcare client against allegations of premises liability, demand of $350,000 (2016)
- USDC, Eastern District of Missouri
- USDC, Western District of Missouri
- USDC, Southern District of Illinois
- Saint Louis University School of Law, J.D., 2008
- University of Missouri-Columbia, B.A., 2001
Memberships & Activities
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- St. Louis Association of Healthcare Risk Managers
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Missouri Bar Association
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Presenter: "Trial Masters – Jury Instructions: Ten Common Pitfalls of Jury Instructions", Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis Bench and Bar Conference (May 2019)
- Moderator: “2018 Technology: A Firm's Best Friend”, Missouri Bar CLE (November 2018)
- Presenter: "Using Technology in the Courtroom" section of "Port Tech Conference", Missouri Bar CLE (October 2018)
- Presenter: "Using Technology in the Courtroom" section of "The Trial Experience", Missouri Bar CLE (June 2018)
Awards & Recognition
- Recipient of the Lon O. Hocker Trial Lawyer Award, 2017.
- Missouri Lawyers Weekly Up & Coming award recipient, 2015.
- Recipient of the Louis A. Lombardo Prosecuting Attorney of the Year award, 2013.
- Graduate of the KCMBA Bar Leadership Academy, 2011-12.
- Recipient of the Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office award for most cases tried to verdict in the Sex Crimes Unit, 2011.
- Recipient of the Justice Award from the Circuit Attorney’s Office for outstanding trial results, 2009.
- Named University City’s “Police Officer of the Year”, 2003.