Terry O'Toole is a dynamic and experienced litigator with proven results. Having tried over 30 cases to verdict, he was presented with the 2017 Lon O. Hocker award for excellence in trial advocacy. A former police officer and prosecutor, Terry utilizes his unique skill set to serve his clients in all aspects of investigation, case preparation, and trial.
Terry’s practice focuses on medical malpractice and general liability defense, including personal injury, insurance defense, and transportation law. He works regularly with clients ranging from healthcare providers, claims managers, long-term care administrators, and in-house counsel. In doing so, Terry employs a multi-faceted approach balancing advocacy with the client’s unique needs.
- Jury verdict for healthcare clients in alleged wrongful death medical malpractice action (2017)
- Jury verdict for healthcare client against allegations of premises liability, demand of $350,000 (2016)
- USDC, Eastern District of Missouri
- USDC, Western District of Missouri
- USDC, Southern District of Illinois
- Saint Louis University School of Law, J.D., 2008
- University of Missouri-Columbia, B.A., 2001
Memberships & Activities
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- St. Louis Association of Healthcare Risk Managers
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Missouri Bar Association
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Missouri Bar CLE Moderator: “2018 Technology: A Firm's Best Friend” (November 2018)
- Missouri Bar CLE Presenter: "Using Technology in the Courtroom" section of "Port Tech Conference" (October 2018)
- Missouri Bar CLE Presenter: "Using Technology in the Courtroom" section of "The Trial Experience" (June 2018)
Awards & Recognition
- Recipient of the Lon O. Hocker Trial Lawyer Award, 2017.
- Missouri Lawyers Weekly Up & Coming award recipient, 2015.
- Recipient of the Louis A. Lombardo Prosecuting Attorney of the Year award, 2013.
- Graduate of the KCMBA Bar Leadership Academy, 2011-12.
- Recipient of the Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office award for most cases tried to verdict in the Sex Crimes Unit, 2011.
- Recipient of the Justice Award from the Circuit Attorney’s Office for outstanding trial results, 2009.
- Named University City’s “Police Officer of the Year”, 2003.