A former General Attorney at Union Pacific Railroad Company for nearly 12 years, John Lord has successfully litigated personal injury, fatality and property damage cases filed against numerous railroads in state and federal courts. John has served as an Adjunct Professor of Law at Saint Louis University, teaching Trial Advocacy to third-year law students.
Prior to joining Union Pacific, John served as an Assistant Prosecuting Attorney in St. Louis County for 14 years. He prosecuted high-profile criminal cases including homicides, narcotics cases, white-collar crime and political corruption cases. During that time, John was appointed to serve as a Special Assistant Attorney General and he taught at the Trial Advocacy School for Prosecuting Attorneys at the University of Missouri School of Law. He began his career as a Law Clerk for all of the Circuit Judges in St. Louis County, and has tried over 75 jury trials and hundreds of bench trials to completion.
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- USDC, Eastern District of Missouri
- USDC, Eastern District of Arkansas
- USDC, Western District of Arkansas
- USDC, Eastern District of Oklahoma
- University of Colorado School of Law, J.D.
- Denison University
- University of Missouri, B.J.
- University Scholar
- Journalism Honor Society
Memberships & Activities
- American Short Line and Regional Railroad Association
- Chair of the General Counsel Committee
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Missouri Bar
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
- Contributing Editor, Railroad Litigator’s Notebook, Fourth Edition National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
- Defense of Railroad Grade Crossing Cases, American Short Line & Regional Railroad Association’s Legal Tracks (2007)
- Federal Railroad Preemption: Past, Present and Future., American Short Line & Regional Railroad Association’s Legal Tracks (with John F. Mahan, Jr.) (October 2008)
- John is a frequent presenter on a wide variety of topics at national and international transportation conferences.
Awards & Recognition
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers® in America, St. Louis Metropolitan Area
- Railroad Law (2016-present)
- Selected for inclusion in Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers®, 2019-present
- Municipal Judge, City of Warson Woods, MO
- Alumni Association of John Burroughs School (Former President)
- Villa Duchesne – Oak Hill School Board of Trustees (Former Member)