Mike Hunter likes to try cases. To date he has tried over two dozen of them, almost all of those to a jury. His trials include disputes over business relationships, insurance contracts, personal injury and property damage.
His trial work has earned him the recognition of his peers. He has been invited to join various honorary trial lawyer societies, one of which invites only one half of one percent American lawyers. In addition he has been asked by his peers to speak on a variety of litigation related topics.
Mike’s work has also earned him the loyalty of his clients. He currently serves as Regional Trial Counsel for a Fortune 100 heavy equipment manufacturer, and represents various clients in courts throughout the Midwest. Mike’s clients include companies in the manufacturing, insurance, utility, transportation and healthcare industries. Outside of the courtroom, he has developed risk management and mitigation policies and procedures for his clients.
Mike likes to spend his time away from the office with his wife and children. When he gets the chance, Mike likes to swim, cycle and play an occasional round of golf.
- Jury verdict for manufacturer client against traumatic brain injury claim, demand of $1.95 million
- Jury verdict for utility client against wrongful death claim, demand of $4.8 million
- Jury verdict for manufacturing client against allegations of a defective product, demand of $800,000
- Jury verdict for hospital client against allegations of disease exposure from used needle, demand of $500,000
- Jury verdict for corporate client against allegations of property misappropriation and tortious interference with a business
- Jury verdict for railroad client in FELA claim, demand of $900,000
- Jury verdict in favor of corporate client in $1.5 million breach of contract case
- Pharmaceutical & Medical Device
- Recreational Transportation
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- USDC, Eastern District of Missouri
- USDC, Western District of Missouri
- USDC, Southern District of Illinois
- USDC, Central District of Illinois
- USDC, District of Kansas
- University of Missouri - Columbia School of Law, J.D., 1996
- University of Missouri - Columbia, B.A., 1993
Memberships & Activities
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- Product Liability Advisory Council
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Defense Research Institute
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Missouri Bar
- American Bar Association
- FELA Claims Investigation – Damages, American Short Line & Regional Railroad Liability Conference (June 2015)
- Return to Work Issues: Legal and Practical Issues From a Litigation Perspective, American Short Line & Regional Railroad Annual Convention (May 2011)
- Opening Statements, Litigation seminar to benefit Legal Services of Eastern Missouri (June 2010)
- Issues Related to Additional insured and Contractual Liability in Missouri and Illinois, Seminar for insurance client (November 2009)
- Current Trends in Grade Crossing Litigation, Railroad Claims and Liability Seminar (July 2008)
- Speaker, “FELA Claims Investigation – Damages”, American Short Line & Regional Railroad Liability Conference (June 2015)
- Speaker, “Return to Work Issues: Legal and Practical Issues From a Litigation Perspective”, American Short Line & Regional Railroad Annual Convention (May 2011)
- Speaker, “Opening Statements”, Litigation seminar to benefit Legal Services of Eastern Missouri (June 2010)
- Speaker, “Issues Related to Additional Insureds and Contractual Liability in Missouri and Illinois”, Seminar for insurance client (November 2009)
- Speaker, “Current Trends in Grade Crossing Litigation”, Railroad Claims and Liability Seminar (July 2008)
Awards & Recognition
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers® in America, St. Louis Metropolitan Area
- Commercial Litigation (2016-present)
- Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants (2018-present)
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Recognized by Missouri Lawyers Weekly as receiving a “Top Defense Verdict”, 2008 – 2011.
- Recognized as a Rising Star in Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers®, 2008 – 2011.
- Named as an “Up & Coming Lawyer” by Missouri Lawyers Weekly, 2009.
- Team Activities for Special Kids, Inc. (Board of Directors)
Wahl v. Watco Companies458 S.W.3d 857 (Mo.App. W.D. 2015)
Western Waterproofing Company v. Elastomeric Roofing Systems, Inc.2010 WL 5392775 (E.D. Mo)
Arthur v. National Railroad Passenger Corporation224 S.W.3d 68 (Mo.App. E.D. 2007)
Williams v. National Railroad Passenger Corp.2006 WL 3431781 (S.D.IlI.)
Cupp v. National Railroad Passenger Corp.138 S.W.3d 766 (Mo.App. E.D. 2004)
Gresser v. Union Pacific Railroad Company130 F.Supp.2d 1009 (C.D. Il1. 2001)