Pete Hoffman’s entire legal career of more than 35 years has been spent in the preparation and trial of civil cases. He has extensive experience in preparing and trying products liability cases. He is a member of the Product Liability Advisory Council. He has both prepared and tried cases involving auto accidents, premises liability, general negligence, insurance (including automobile liability, homeowner’s and General Liability insurance), admiralty and commercial disputes. Pete has a litigation practice in both federal and state courts and has tried numerous cases to jury verdicts in both Missouri and Illinois. He has also argued before the appellate courts of Missouri, Illinois and the 7th and 8th U.S. Circuits.
In 2010, Pete was appointed by the Missouri Supreme Court as one of twelve lawyer-members to a special Committee which spent two years reviewing Expert Discovery rules and recommending to the Court possible changes to those rules.
He has been hired as both a mediator and as an arbitrator in various litigation-related matters. Pete has testified before subcommittees of the Missouri legislature on tort-related issues and has lectured at engineering and legal seminars on products liability, trial preparation and civil procedure.
Pete is also experienced in assisting organizations to reduce liability exposure by providing legal advice and reviewing procedures, warning language and policies.
- Hospitality & Leisure
- Pharmaceutical & Medical Device
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- USDC, Eastern District of Missouri
- USDC, Southern District of Illinois
- University of Missouri - Columbia School of Law, JD, 1976
- Washington University, St. Louis, BA, 1973
Memberships & Activities
- The Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- The Lawyer's Association of St. Louis
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- Product Liability Advisory Council
- Illinois State Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Co-Author, Chapter 2: Evaluation and Settlement of Personal Injury Claims, Missouri Settling Cases (MoBar Deskbook 2014).
- Co-Author, Chapter 2: Evaluation and Settlement of Personal Injury Claims, Missouri Litigation Settlements (MoBar Deskbook 2001, 2009).
- Contributing Author, Exclusion of Improper Expert Testimony, Section on Law in the 8th Circuit (Product Liability Advisory Council Case Law Supplement 1999).
- Author, Chapter 43(e) Missouri Products Liability Handbook (MoBar 1991).
Awards & Recognition
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Mediator Certification, University of Missouri-Columbia School of Law, 1999
News & Events
Crow v. Crawford & Co.259 S.W.3d 104 (Mo. App. E.D. 2008)
Ware v. Whiting2007 WL 2409751 (E.D. Mo. 2007)
Filla v. Norfolk Southern Ry. Co.336 F.3d 806 (8th Cir. Mo. 2003)
Mothershead v. Greenbriar Country Club, Inc.994 S.W.2d 80 (Mo. App. E.D. 1999)
Athmer v. C.E.I. Equipment Co. Inc.121 F.3d 294 (7th Cir. (Ill.) 1997)
Brueggemann v. Elbert948 S.W.2d 212 (Mo. App. E.D. 1997)
Bramon v. U-Haul945 S.W.2d 676 (Mo. App. E.D. 1997)
Jones v. Sparkman922 S.W.2d 816 (Mo. App. E.D. 1996)
State ex. rel. Malone v. Mummert889 S.W.2d 822 (Mo. 1994)
Waggoner v. Mercedes Benz of North America, Inc.879 S.W.2d 692 (Mo. App. 1994)
Holmes v. Arbeitman857 S.W.2d 442 (Mo. App. 1993)
Royal Indemnity Co. v. Werner979 F.2d 1299 (8th Cir. (Mo.) 1992)
GWT-PAT, Inc. v. Mehlville Fire Protection District801 S.W. 2d 798 (Mo. App. E.D. 1991)
Hughes v. Balemaster, Inc.652 F. Supp. 1350 (E.D. Mo. 1987)
Taylor v. General Motors Corp.715 S.W.2d 925 (Mo. 1986)
Complaint of Valley Towing Service629 F. Supp. 139 (E.D. Mo. 1985)
Koch v. Bangert Brothers Road Builders, Inc.697 S.W. 2d 315 (Mo. App. E.D. 1985)
Federal Barge Lines, Inc. v. Granite City Steel, Div. of Nat. Steel Corp.608 F. Supp. 142 (E.D. Mo. 1985)
Agri-Trans Corp. v. Peavey Co.742 F.2d 1137 (8th Cir. (Mo.) 1984)
State ex rel. Dick Proctor Imports, Inc. v. Gaertner671 S.W.2d 273 (Mo. 1984)
Complaint of Valley Towing Service581 F. Supp. 1287 (E.D. Mo. 1984)
Ohio River Co. v. Great Lakes Carbon Corp.562 F. Supp. 61 (E.D. Mo. 1982)
Soutiea v. American National Insurance Co.595 S.W.2d 467 (Mo. App. E.D. 1980)
State ex rel. Maryland Heights Concrete Contractors, Inc. v. Ferris588 S.W.2d 489 (Mo. 1979)
Universal Towing Co. v. Barrale595 F.2d 414 (8th Cir. (Mo.) 1979)
Hurt v. General Motors Corp.553 F.2d 1181 (8th Cir. (Mo.) 1977)